Thursday, March 24, 2011

The Rodeo

I lived in Houston for 35 years and only went to the Rodeo once. It’s the sort of thing you do once so you can say you have been there and done that. It’s not the sort of thing you need to do as long as you have something else to do. I always figured if I needed some exposure to BS I would just wait for my next business trip to Washington, D.C.

Sometimes life is like a Rodeo. More specifically, it’s a lot like the Bull Riding Event. Sometimes it feels like you wake up on the charging bull until you are thrown to the ground, stomped on and knocked unconscious and then when you wake up the ride starts all over again. It’s a lot like the movie “Groundhog Day” except each day starts with a new bull ride that never ends until you are thrown to the ground, stomped on and mercifully knocked unconscious again.

Maybe that’s why Ernest Hemingway is quoted as saying, “I love my sleep. My life has the tendency to fall apart when I’m awake, you know?”  It was said that he would sometimes stay in bed for days. On July 2, 1961, at age 61 his Bull Ride ended with his favorite shotgun.